The organization “The Smile of the Child” participated in the final project meeting and in the final conference of the European Project CONVEY – Counteracting sexual Violence and harassment: Engaging Youth in schools in digital education on gender stereotyping, on 8th, 9th and 10th of April, in Palermo, Italy.
Representatives of organizations from 6 countries [CESIE (Italy), “The Smile of the Child” (Greece), “Hope For Children” CRC Policy Center (Cyprus), Sexual Violence Centre Cork (Ireland), Gender Alternatives (Bulgaria), Westminster City Council (United Kingdom)], presented the results of the project’s implementation as well as the current status in each country concerning prevention of gender – based violence.
“The Smile of the Child” successfully implemented the CONVEY project in Greece (September 2016 – April 2019) and specifically the main activities below:
- Co-development and discussion meetings with 22 students (peer consultants) at the 6th Junior High School of Ilion with the aim to consult the pupils themselves during the development of the content of the educational digital tool/game “CONVEY, Not A Game” (for teens’ awareness raising on sexual violence and harassment) who participated also to the usability test of the developed game
- Co-development and discussion meetings between professionals and 2 survivors of sexual violence or harassment (expert consulting group), that also leaded to the development of two videos with their testimonials (https://conveyproject.eu/videos-by-survivors/), who also participated in the usability test of the game
- Participation in the development of the pilot programme for young people’s awareness raising (series of specifically designed experiential activities developed in the context of the project)
- Train-the-Trainers Seminar Workshops (2 days) for 7 teachers from Athens, Florina, Peloponnese, Alexandroupolis and Serres, based on a specialized material for teachers’ training developed in the context of the project. The training consisted of 5 sessions, a) gender stereotypes, b) objectification of women in the media, c) gender based violence, c) sexual violence and harassment and e) disclosure steps and sensitivity.
- Implementation and evaluation of the pilot programme local workshops (minimum duration of 10 hours with each group) with 65 students from the 2nd Senior High School of Florina, Junior High School of Vevi, Florina, and 3rd Junior High School of Alexandroupolis.
- Implementation of social media campaign against sexual violence and harassment (through street interviews and development of video from students).
“The Smile of the Child” expresses its appreciation to the teachers for their significant contribution to the implementation of the project at schools as well as the students and teachers from the Music School of Tripoli for their contribution to the campaign.
Finally, “The Smile of the Child” would like to thank Georgia Karountzou (Coordinator in Primary Education, Region of Peloponnese) and Nikolas Christopoulos (Coordinator in Secondary Education, Region of Peloponnese and West Greece), for their participation and important contribution to the conference through their presentation about the role of education in the prevention of sexual violence.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org